Friday, December 19, 2008

The Importance of Flatwork

Training on the flat, along with another discipline (hunters, jumpers, etc.) should still be maintained as 75% of your horse's schooling.
Since I ride hunter jumpers, I am going to feed that idea into training on the flat. These next few exercises I made are simple to understand if you can read them correctly.
My disclaimer: None of this flatwork is effective whatsoever unless the rider executes each movement properly. A lot of times riders sacrifice basic riding position and equitation to accomplish the goal. I'd rather see minimal perfect work than lengthy sloppy work. It comes from you first, as the rider to feel your horse and communicate easily.

Each exercise I post will be thoroughly explained to my best ability. The movements included in these exercises will have to be taught first before you present your horse with a new movement in the middle of a pattern.

Movements:
Lengthening/Shortening (this DOES NOT mean collection and extension, but keeping the impulsion while covering more or less ground)

Leg-Yields

Turn on the Forehand

Turn on the Haunches

Circle/Half-Circle

No comments:

Post a Comment